lot # 1565 - europa russland post in levante
1863 (June 25): Entire letter from the Russian Consular Post Office in Constantinople to Odessa bearing two single examples of Russia Imperial Arms 1858 10 kop. brown & blue perf. 12½, cancelled together with fair framed "Franco" handstamp in blue (Tchilinghirian fig. 7), reverse with crisp KONSTANTINOPOL despatch cds in blue (Tchilinghirian fig. 3). Horizontal filing fold well away from the stamps and left stamp with corner fault, nevertheless a clean and attractive entire opened for display. rnrnNote: Russian Consular Post Offices accepted mail prior to 1863 and the "Franco" handstamp used on this entire is already known on a stampless cover from the Dr. Casey collection despatched in October 1862. This Casey cover proves thereby the usage of the "Franco" handstamp in the Consular P.O. rather than the ROPiT office in Constantinople to which it has been attributed in the past. Russian Imperial stamps were issued to the Levant P.O.'s in November 1862 and starting from 1863 to 1914 all Russian Post Offices in the Ottoman Empire were run by the Russian Company for Steam Navigation & Trade. The present cover shows therefore a very early usage of Russian Imperial adhesives in the Levant with only one other entire from the Cihangir collection despatched three days earlier. The Imperial adhesives were replaced by the ROPiT 'Steamer & Eagle' adhesives in 1865. In addition, the present cover is a fine presentation of the 20 kopeck port-to-port rate while additonal 10 kop. had to be franked for destinations within Russia.
Katalog 265: EUROPA & ÜBERSEE